Monday, March 12, 2012

Kelly joins Protection of Workers picket at Great Island Power Station


Cllr Anthony Kelly met with unemployed skilled workers who are mounting a right to work protest outside Great Island Power Station this morning. The Wexford Sinn Féin councillor had been invited down to meet the protestors and ascertain the possible exploitation of migrant workers who have been ferried in recently to carry out the ground work for a proposed new power station

Cllr Kelly said;

“There has been an ongoing problem at Great Island for some time now and no one is making any moves to rectify it. I was happy to meet with the protestors this morning and I wish to use my influence as an elected public rep to highlight their cause which many have tried to ignore. This problem won’t go away. I have grave concerns that the rights of workers are not being protected in accordance with European laws at Great Island.”

“Following the meeting this morning, I contacted the local SIPTO representative for construction, Mr David Lane, and explained to him my concerns about the ongoing situation at Great Island. Mr Lane has assured me that he will visit the site this week and meet with protestors.”

“I would like to commend the local community for the support they are showing this picket and in particular, applaud the many young people who are helping out. County Wexford Sinn Féin will be monitoring the situation carefully. We have always stood up for the rights of all workers and we have no intention of abandoning that core republican principal.”

No comments:

Post a Comment